This role is an exciting opportunity to join the Thermal team with responsibility for spacecraft level thermal design and analysis solutions on Low Earth Orbit, Geostationary Earth Orbit and interplanetary missions. Working within the Thermal team on fast-paced projects to deliver practical Thermal Control Subsystem (TCS) solutions on schedule and within budget requiring a dedicated, experienced, innovative and pragmatic approach.
Engineers at SSTL have involvement on a mission right from concept through to launch, commissioning and operational life; a true cradle to grave experience, and will give you the chance to see your work in Space in a rapid timescale! This key role will often sit within the core team of a satellite mission interacting with other technical leads across multiple disciplines to generate the technical solutions for innovative projects.
- Thermal subsystem management including:
- Design and analysis of the spacecraft TCS
- Perform / manage TCS implementation and test activities
- Delivery of an overall thermal solution that fits in with company and project requirements
- Spacecraft level thermal analysis and design
- System / subsystem level interfacing and trade-offs
- Cost, risk, schedule and performance trades
- Implementation of the design including appropriate hardware selection and management as required.
- Test planning, test and verification of the design,
- Understanding and improving related company standards and work practices
- Perform / manage unit level analysis and design or piece part testing as required
- Management of subcontractors as required
- Interfacing to internal and external customers
- Management of one or more project work packages
- Relevant experience in appropriate thermal design and analysis in the space industry preferable but not essential
- Experience using Thermica, Sinda-G and ESATAN analysis tools advantageous
- Experience with active and passive TCS hardware
- Planning and support of thermal vacuum tests
- Space mission and system level experience, including interfacing to other disciplines such as Mechanics, AOCS, Propulsion, AIT and Operations
- Experience of converting between the thermal tools is desirable but not essential
- A good Degree in Engineering or Physics or appropriate vocational qualifications
- A system level understanding of thermal subsystem design
- Good thermal design and analysis skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills - both written and oral communications; ability to interface with customers and technical representatives
- Good writing skills with a proven ability to generate high quality technical documentation
- Proven ability to deliver solutions under pressure and to tight timescales
- Good organisation skills and able to prioritise own workload
- Flexible & adaptable to changing priorities
- Ability to work simultaneously on a variety of projects
- Good MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint particularly)
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets and behaviours; Be accountable, Drive & delivery, Communicate effectively, Self-manage effectively, Work as one team
SSTL prides itself on being a super flexible company. The role is based in our Head Office in Guildford but we fully support hybrid working and a range of flexible working options.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes; 32 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme with Life Assurance, Private Medical & International Travel Insurance, Annual Bonus Scheme, Share Incentive Plan, Enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental Pay for new parents, High Street Discount Scheme and many more!