This role is an exciting opportunity to join the Systems team with responsibility to lead space missions from LEO to GEO and beyond. Engineers at SSTL have involvement on a mission from concept, through to AIT, launch, commissioning and operational life; a true cradle to grave experience, and will give you the chance to see your work in Space in a rapid timescale! The Systems Engineer role plays an essential part in leading other technical disciplines, to bring together quality and pragmatic solutions for innovative projects, whilst working within a great team environment.
- Working with the Sales and Engineering teams in support of bid / tender activities to generate technical solutions for a variety of customers.
- System level design of space and ground segments including requirements analysis, sensitivity analysis, mission analysis and design trade-offs.
- System engineering throughout all project phases:
- Requirements management and engineering;
- Preliminary and critical design phase activities, including mission conops development;
- System / subsystem level interfacing and trade-offs;
- System assembly and integration;
- Test planning, requirement verification testing, and system validation;
- System commissioning and operations.
- Perform cost, risk, schedule and performance trades.
- Lead / support technical studies for a variety of customers.
- Review of technical work.
- Mentoring of junior colleagues where necessary.
- Understanding and improving relevant company standards and work practices.
- Conduct customer-facing meetings and presentation at all project stages.
- Preparation of project documentation and presentation materials to a high standard for all phases of the work.
- Interfacing to internal and external customers.
- Technical study work
- Management of subcontractors as requires
- Management of one or more project work packages
- Act as a technical focal point for SSTL Mission Products, maintaining all key system level information in relation to these Mission Products.
- Experienced spacecraft Systems Engineer (ideally 7+ years’ experience).
- Experience of designing space missions starting from end-user requirements (cradle-to-grave).
- Experience of designing and analysing space and ground segments to the sub-system level.
- Experience in requirements and verification management.
- Ideally with experience of spacecraft level verification testing.
- Ideally with system experience of in-orbit commissioning and associated spacecraft operations.
Qualifications Knowledge & Skills
- A good degree or equivalent in Engineering, Physics or Maths
- Good working knowledge of orbit analysis, constellation configurations, RF link analysis, system budgets, operations, ground segment, space environment and satellite mechanical and electrical architectures
- Good knowledge of a wide range of satellite applications, e.g. Earth observation, communications, navigation, science etc.
- Good knowledge of requirements management
- Good knowledge of FMECA and FDIR design
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of MS Project or equivalent planning tool
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent knowledge of STK and Matlab or equivalent analysis tools
- Hands on familiarity with environmental testing (eg vibration and thermal vacuum tests)
- Good knowledge of assembly and test methods for space flight equipment
- Excellent technical writing and presentation skills
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Results orientated, can-do approach
- Pro-active and able to take initiative
- Decision making and problem solving skills
- Excellent inter-personal skills - both written and oral communications; ability to interface with customers and technical representatives
- Good team working skills, together with the ability to influence others at all levels
- Proven ability to deliver solutions under pressure and to tight timescales
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets and behaviours; Be accountable, Drive & delivery, Communicate effectively, Self-manage effectively, Work as one team
Our comprehensive benefits package includes; 32 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme with Life Assurance, Private Medical & International Travel Insurance, Annual Bonus Scheme, Share Incentive Plan, Enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental Pay for new parents, High Street Discount Scheme and many more
SSTL prides itself on being a super flexible company. The role is based in our Head Office in Guildford but we fully support hybrid working and a range of flexible working options.
SSTL supports applications requiring a UK Skilled Worker Visa and sponsorship is available for this role.