This role is an exciting opportunity to join the Systems team with responsibility to lead space missions from LEO to GEO and beyond. Engineers at SSTL have involvement on a mission from concept, through to AIT, launch, commissioning and operational life; a true cradle to grave experience and will give you the chance to see your work in Space in a rapid timescale! The Systems Engineer role plays an essential part in leading other technical disciplines, to bring together quality and pragmatic solutions for innovative projects, whilst working within a great team environment.
- System engineer/technical lead on SSTL missions from contract negotiations through to launch and operations
- To work as part of a team to perform mission and system design for missions ranging from LEO to GEO and beyond
- System level design of space and ground segments including requirements analysis, sensitivity analysis, mission analysis and design trade-offs
- To work as part of a team in the production of concepts of operations for missions
- Conduct customer-facing meetings and presentation at all project stages
- Preparation of presentation materials and reports to a high standard for all phases of the project
- Working with the Sales and Engineering teams in support of bid/tender activities to generate technical solutions for a variety of customers
- Support/ lead studies for a variety of customers. Management of these studies to meet technical requirements, and to cost and schedule.
- Experience as a technical lead on a space mission project
- Proven experienced spacecraft Systems Engineer
- Experience of designing space missions starting from end-user requirements (ideally cradle to grave)
- Experience of designing and analysing space and ground segments to the sub-system level
- Ideally with experience of downstream spacecraft level testing
- Ideally with system experience of commissioning
- Experience in requirements and verification management
Qualifications Knowledge & Skills
- Degree or equivalent in Engineering, Physics or Maths
- Excellent technical writing and presentation (generating and delivering) skills
- Good knowledge or awareness of orbit analysis, constellation configurations, RF link analysis, system budgets, operations, ground segment, space environment and satellite mechanical and electrical architectures
- Good knowledge of a wide range of satellite applications, e.g. Earth observation, communications, science etc
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight timescales
- Good knowledge of requirements management
- Good knowledge of FMECA’s and FDIR design
- Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent knowledge of STK and Matlab or equivalent analysis tools
- Hands on familiarity with environmental testing (eg vibration and thermal vacuum tests)
- Good knowledge of assembly and test methods for space flight equipment
- Some knowledge of MS Project or equivalent planning tool
SSTL prides itself on being a super flexible company. The role is based in our Head Office in Guildford but we fully support hybrid working and a range of flexible working options.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes; 32 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme with Life Assurance, Private Medical & International Travel Insurance, Annual Bonus Scheme, Share Incentive Plan, Enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental Pay for new parents, High Street Discount Scheme and many more!