We are looking for an experienced aerospace Optical Systems Engineer to take technical responsibility for design, development, and delivery of SSTL’s next generation of spacecraft Optical Payloads.
You will be involved in all aspects of a mission, as it pertains to the Optical Payload, from concept through to launch and operation in-orbit. This key role often sits within the core team of a mission and will see interaction with other technical leads across all engineering areas of the business.
- Conceptually design and technically manage the development and verification of space-bound optical systems
- Work Package Management for multiple technical aspects of optical systems
- Hold technical ownership of requirements and specifications for optical payload systems, working closely with relevant teams to generate derived requirements
- Manage the delivery of complete payloads, including ownership of payload schedules and keeping them aligned with mission schedule requirements
- ‘Hands-on’ technical engagement with the payload and all subsystems’ team members at all development stages through to final assembly, integration, and verification
- Ownership of risk registers and appropriate mitigation as agreed with the project manager
- Reviewing and critiquing optical systems for application in space, balancing technical requirements with programmatic and budget constraints
- Engage directly with customers at periodic project reviews, presenting a holistic view of the optical payload
- Writing and contributing to proposals, supporting future business development from a technical perspective
- Providing support and technical oversight of:
- Optical system architecture definition
- Optical design
- Performance evaluation and testing
- Subsystem and component specification definition and manufacture
- Optical system alignment and testing
Qualifications Knowledge & Skills
- BSc in Optics, Physics or relevant BEng degree with proven related practical aerospace optical and/or spacecraft experience
- Optical design/analysis experience with proficiency in Optic Studio (Zemax) and FRED would be an advantage
- Mechanical design and analysis software knowledge, such as SolidWorks, Ansys, SigFit, including numerical analysis software line Python or MATLAB
- You should be able to deliver your error-free work output on time
- Demonstrable ability to work independently without hand-on management or guidance
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets and behaviours; Be accountable, Drive & delivery, Communicate effectively, Self-manage effectively, Work as one team
SSTL prides itself on being a super flexible company. The role is based in our Head Office in Guildford but we fully support hybrid working tailored to you, and a range of flexible working options.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes; 32 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme with Life Assurance, Private Medical & International Travel Insurance, Annual Bonus Scheme, Share Incentive Plan, Enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental Pay for new parents, High Street Discount Scheme and many more!
SSTL supports applications requiring a UK Skilled Worker Visa and sponsorship is available for this role. Relocation assistance also available.