An exciting opportunity to make a difference within the industry delivering highly innovative power solutions for spacecraft missions. This role has responsibility for undertaking the design, analysis, development, verification and delivery of power system and energy conversion solutions into different missions, including power subsystem lead responsibility for those missions.
Engineers at SSTL have involvement on missions right from concept through to launch, commissioning and operational life; a true cradle to grave experience giving you the chance to see your work in Space in a rapid timescale. This key role will often sit within the core team of a satellite mission interacting with other technical leads across multiple disciplines to generate the technical solutions for innovative projects.
Primary role will be the Power Subsystem Lead and Work Package Managers in Space Projects, including design, analysis, development, verification, and delivery of the power subsystem/modules. Typical duties include:
- Act as Power Subsystem Lead and Work Package Manager in Space Projects
- Ownership of the power subsystem system and all aspects feeding into and of it.
- Identification and flow-down of spacecraft system requirements to the spacecraft power system
- Delivery of a power system solution that meets these requirements in line with defined company processes.
- Management and verification of these requirements
- System / subsystem level interfacing and trade-offs
- Management of technical solution, supporting other design engineers where required.
- Management and delivery of satellite power systems work packages including budget, schedule, planning, risk management and interactions with project managers.
- Interface with internal and external customers
- Authoring of technical documents (including interface level FMEA, development/test/verification plans, test procedures and technical descriptions)
- Minor updates to circuit designs (changing obsolete parts, incremental performance improvements, ECN generations, etc)
- Support product development and new designs for future missions.
- Providing input into bids for future contracts.
- At least 3 years’ proven Power System Engineering experience in a systems / power electronics role, ideally in the Space or Aerospace Industries.
- In-depth understanding of analogue and power electronics analysis, design, build, and test in a system/subsystem design
- Familiarity with typical Power System Equipment in a spacecraft defined as follows: Batter Charge/Discharge Regulators, Power Distribution Modules, Relay/Activation Modules, Drive Electronics for motors/mechanism, DC-DC converters (range from 5W-3kW), Heater Control Boards, Batteries and Solar Panels, etc.
- Hands-on design and manufacturing experience and fault-finding during development of power electronics/analogue products.
- Good presentation and discussion skills of technical material to/with a technical audience
- Recent experience with schematic capture and simulation software (e.g. MentorGraphics, OrCAD PSPICE, etc.)
Qualifications Knowledge & Skills
- BTEC / Degree in Electronics or equivalent
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills, able to influence, persuade and negotiate with people at all levels (externally & internally) as well as to assist in reaching compromises when there are conflicting requirements
- High degree of organisation, self-motivation and initiative
- Good team working skills, together with the ability to interface with others at all levels
- Good presentation skills and customer facing skills
- Results orientated with a strong drive to deliver
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Pro-active and able to take initiative
Excellent planning and organising skills
- Highly organised with clear communication skills
- Ability to work simultaneously on a variety of projects
- Able to work autonomously and using own initiative
- Excellent inter-personal skills - both written and oral communications; ability to interface with customers and technical representatives
- Decision making and creative problem solving skills
Ability to multi-task and deliver both immediate and longer term tasks
- Proven ability to deliver solutions under pressure and to tight timescales
- Good knowledge of MS Office Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Microsoft Project
- Able to demonstrate company mindsets and behaviours; Be accountable, Drive & delivery, Communicate effectively, Self-manage effectively, Work as one team
SSTL prides itself on being a super flexible company. The role is based in our Head Office in Guildford but we fully support hybrid working and a range of flexible working options.
Our comprehensive benefits package includes; 32 days Holiday plus Bank Holidays, Pension Scheme with Life Assurance, Private Medical & International Travel Insurance, Annual Bonus Scheme, Share Incentive Plan, Enhanced Maternity, Paternity & Shared Parental Pay for new parents, High Street Discount Scheme and many more!
SSTL supports applications requiring a UK Skilled Worker Visa and sponsorship is available for this role. Relocation assistance also available.